The Company We Keep
Our lesson will come from Proverbs 13:20: "He who walks with the wise men will be wise But the companion of the fools will be destroyed."
According to Strong's, the word "companion" means to be a friend. Is the
term fool speaking of one who is intellectually disabled? I do not believe Solomon was
speaking of destroying one who has the mind of a child. I rather think when he speaks
of foolish men here, he is speaking of evil men.
I rather believe the wise men are followers of God, who will have eternal life.
Where the evil are more commonly known as fools who will find their path leads them
to damnation. Mark 16:16 states, "He who believed and is baptized will be saved; but
he who does not believe will be condemned."
Sometimes we find ourselves placed in a culture where we think only fools exist, but
if we look hard enough, we will find that the wise live there as well. When you start to feel
like you are in a world full of fools, recall I Kings 19:18: "Yet I have reserved seven thousand
in Israel. all whose knees have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him,"
The choice of the company you keep is up to you. In the end, you will be happier if you
keep company with the wise, and have eternal life. Than to have company with fools and
end up in utter destruction.
Paul D, Eccles

Comments
Post a Comment