Chemically Induced Coma

 




      I was living in Kokomo, Indiana, when my father was in a chemically induced coma, and my 

Grandmother Eccles had passed away.  So, Central church of Christ offered to pay my way to either

go to my grandmother's funeral in Oklahoma, or to go visit my comatose father in Albuquerque, New 

Mexico.  I automatically recalled what the scriptures said in Matthew 8:22 "...let the dead bury their 

dead" which made the choice easier.  I chose to go to New Mexico and be with my parents.  After all

if dad was in a chemically induced coma, how did I know he would not die.  Someone needed to stay 

with mom anyway.   

          I took care of momma and made sure she ate while dad was in the hospital.  After all that was

 my job now.  When she came home, I walked through the dessert to get the two of us some ice cream.

I got lost and walked all the way to the high school (which is spooky looking in the dark).  Some guy 

came out and yelled at me because I was walking all over his house.  This was news to me since I had 

never seen a house built under ground before.  When he found out I was looking for Smith's he showed 

me how to get there, and I was on my way.   I ended up going to the convenient store instead and got 

two ice creams.  Once I got home, I found out that my mother had called the police and put a missing 

person report on me.  I didn't need that kind of publicity when I was running for city council in

 Kokomo.  

            After my grandmother's funeral in Nowata, Oklahoma, my sister came to the hospital to 

visit my father.  She also offered to take us to church at the El Rancho church of Christ, but we didn't 

go.  We were to concerned about my father to meditate on God's Word.  My sister was just built 

differently. After church she went home too, but things are different today.

         Once Dad came home from the hospital he still needed to be kept home for a while.  He went to 

Walgreens to soon after coming home and wrecked the car.  The two of us were okay but it was to 

soon for him to go anywhere.  Soon I would go back to the Sun-Port Airport to fly back home to 

Indiana.

Paul D. Eccles  

 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Pleasing

I Will Not Forget You

Thunder and The Great Electoral Debate