Life After Death




 Chapter One

Appendix


           As I recall it (back when I was a ten year old child with blond hair) it was like any other March

day in Indiana.  A few clouds, but. hey that is weather in Indiana.  So, I went to school not expecting 

what was about to happen.  It would have been about the third hour of school when I went to the front 

of the class.  I did this to ask the teacher if I could be excused to go see the school nurse.  I explained to 

him that my side hurt.

         Due to the fact that I was bent over in pain (Mr. Simmons, the class room teacher ) gave me a hall

pass to go see the nurse.  I explained that my side hurt, at which the nurse gave me a look over, took 

my temperature, and then sent me home.  She told my mother (a short brunette haired 33 year old 

woman) to take me to the hospital as she thought it was my appendix.  My loving mother took me to 

Community West where X-rays were taken.  All the while I was cracking jokes, the X-rays did not lie 

when they said my appendix were about to bust, and needed to come out.

          So of course, surgery had to be done.  I asked for my appendix, but was told by my doctor they 

did not do that anymore.  Instead they had to throw them away and destroy them at the hospital.  They 

kept me in the hospital for a few days for observation.  Then they saw me, and an African-American 

child racing in the halls in our wheel chairs.  They sent me home telling my parents to keep me home 

from school for a few days to monitor me.


Chapter Two

Hit By A Car


                It was a grey overcast day outside.  Dad (a thirty-five year old red head) and Mom were in an

argument over when I was to go get Mom a diet soda, and me a candy bar.  Dad won being as Mom 

was a good Christian woman and obeyed her husband, giving in to him.  The argument was over 

should I go then or wait until my baby sister got home from school.

          Dad left for work about the time I left for the convenient store.  As I was crossing a busy street I

was hit by a red car.  The driver of the car lived directly behind us, and had turned to correct her two

twin boys when she hit me head on.  Her little red car hit me causing me to fly to the other side of the 

road. My brain bounced around, and my head hit the rocks on  the other side of the road.  It was a 

literal bloody mess as I went into seizures one right after the other.  The paramedics responded 

immediately , as one of the neighbors was backing up yelling for my father in his pick up with his door 

opened up.

            Once my Dad got there the paramedics asked him if Methodist Hospital would be okay.  My 

Dad was to shook up to make any decisions, and just said, "yes".  (To which my sister Regaina and I

 wonder to this day why he did not say Riley Children's Hospital instead.)   Though I don't suppose it 

matters much as long as I'm alive today.  Also when you are in a coma for six weeks you are not really 

aware of your surroundings.

Chapter Three

The Afterlife

             The Summer before I had been hit by a car, I had been baptized at the age of ten.  I was 

therefore (while in the coma) given a tour by my cousin (whom I did not know).  I saw heaven that it 

needed neither the sun, moon, or stars to receive light, for it was lit by the light of God's face.  On the 

other side of God was Hell.  Hell was so dark you could barely see around it except by God's face.

             The earth was God's footstool.  From heaven you could see the misery and torture people put

themselves through.  You could also see the cheerfulness and glee that people put themselves through.

I could see my Grandpa push my mother aside due to the pain he felt.  (for most of his brothers and 

sisters had passed on).     He could not watch as another family member passed on.  As good as the 

doctors were they could give my parents no hope.

             The nurses' aides refused to change my diapers, for they were to busy playing with the babies.

When they were asked why they did not change my diapers they just shrugged and said, why should 

they, I always had my parents or other visitors in the room let them do it.  I watched as the church kept 

the pantries full of food so as my parents did not have to worry with this.  God was pleased with the 

activities of the church, but not the nurses.

                                                                        Chapter Four

The After Affect  


               After the sleeping coma they sent me home for my parents to rehabilitate me from infancy to

twelve.   For when you open your eyes you are not fully out of a coma.  My dad used our stairs to help 

teach me how to walk.  They taught me how to eat again  with puree food giving me food I didn't like

such as beets which I hate.  They got me as far as they could (my mom being a Nurses Aide and my

 Dad working at Eli Lily's).  I was put in a different school more fit for Special Ed children.

                After a year's time we moved to Oklahoma so Dad could be closer to his family.  Their 

schools were better fit for Special Education children too.  If proof is in the pudding I came out of  high

school with a B average, and out of college with 220 credits and a B average. 

Paul D. Eccles

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Pleasing

I Will Not Forget You

Luke 22:32 "...Strengthen Your Brethren."