Adoption of Thunder

Adoption of Thunder



Approximately four years ago I adopted

a Bichon Frise', and the following is the story

of that adoption.


             After the loss of my last dog Spirit, I went into a deep depression.  Doctor Kronos prescribed 

for me to get a therapy dog long ago to help with my depression.  Spirit had fit the bill being a quiet 

dog, but due to stomach cancer he had to be put to sleep.  

             I turned to a close, personal friend of mine to help me find another therapy dog.  My friend was 

not sure if she could help me out since she lived in Martinsville, Indiana, and I lived in Indianapolis, 

Indiana.    She gave me a call in May though saying I could get one at ICAN for only five dollars in the

month of May.   I told her I could afford that, so we set up a date to go pick up the dog in May.

             On May 25th, she came to my apartment to go pick out the dog (both of us being full of 

excitement).   First of all, we went to Subway (which she paid for).  We each had a Subway Meal Deal, 

which cost a total of something like fourteen dollars.  This was an encouraging time full of enrichment

 & fellowship for the both of us.

               We then went to ICAN to find me a dog.  They first of all showed us to the big dogs whom all

wanted to bark.  I looked them all over telling them, "if they wanted me to adopt them they'd have to be 

quiet."

              This did not work though they just kept the barking up, and they were too big to boot.  I was 

about to leave when I saw a woman leave the kennels with a chihuahua.  At that I turned to someone 

and asked where they kept the small dogs.   I was then taken to a wall with a picture of small dogs.  So 

I chose the smallest dog that I saw there, which they called Fluffers.

                  While I paid the adoption fee of five dollars for Fluffers they went out and brought me this

 white dog on a green leash.  He was a neutered male dog which they told me had been with them for 

only three days.  They told me I could get his shots at the Michigan Street Clinic for only ten dollars.  I 

changed the dog's name to Thunder (which was more of a masculine name than Fluffers), and was told

that he was approximately five years old.  We stayed at the clinic all that afternoon, and I'd celebrate 

his birthdate on his adoption date of May 25th.

                      I later did some research on Thunder's breed finding that they were related to the poodle.

Thunder was a non-allergenic breed which made me pleased.  I also found this to be a territorial breed, 

as well as being a quick learner.  His ancestors had been used as street  performers, and in circuses.  

Today they are currently used as therapy dogs.

Paul D. Eccles     

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Pleasing

I Will Not Forget You

Luke 22:32 "...Strengthen Your Brethren."